Thursday, February 23, 2017



Muriel Avenue Sluts
by
Maggie Hasbrouck


When I first read the title I wasn't certain if this was a book I would want to read. Because it's going to be about sluts and it's supposed to be for young adults.It didn't seem like an appropriate plot for a story.

At first, I was amazed that Jules was proud of her mom and the other women on Muriel's Avenue because of what they did.She was excited to turn 18 and be part of the sluts. They weren't technically sex workers but they had a business that catered to men and they got paid to do it. When Jules' best friend Anna is being raped by one of her mother's clients, she takes matters into her own hands and stops it. She kills him and makes it look like an accident. Later on, Jules finds out other girls in school have been abused by their father or someone in their family. She feels bad, even angry and tries to help out a friend but it back fires on her and she goes on the run. At the end of the book, Jules figures out home is the safest place to be when your surrounded by people you love.

The author did a great job with the plot, the dialogue was written well and I enjoyed the story. I felt as if the book was based on truth because of the things that happened to these girls. It was a well thought out look at the life of a teenager. There were elements of it I didn't like for it being young adult. Jules is so happy that her mom is known as the queen of sexual pleasure.Would you be proud of your mom? For instance, Jules decides she wants to have sex and another woman tells her to use a cucumber. She actually tells about it. I don't think this is good for a girl who is twelve. I don't like how Jules is fascinated with Vivian. When she sees her boobs she wants to touch them but she really loves Charlie. She kisses another girl. I get that girls are confused and curious about things when they are 17 but do author's have to encourage it in their stories? This is only my opinion.

Over all, I gave the book 4 stars because the author was thorough and a great storyteller.







*I received this book from the author for my honest review.*




Amazon.com
http://a.co/ejcbSBG

Goodreads.com
 https://www.goodreads.com/maggiehasbrouck

Website
https://www.goodreads.com/maggiehasbrouck










No comments:

Post a Comment